Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back to school - first class

I’m doing this blog for a class I’m taking in emerging technology in education. I started out teaching using a felt board and here I am blogging.  Will wonders never cease.

I’m hoping that through this class I can use some of the applications of science available today to build some bridges - between generations; between the savvy and the intimidated; between the university, health-care professionals and everyday consumers.

So, some of the things buzzing through my head after the first class -
We talked a lot about Gen X and the Millennials. Is there even a place for Boomers, and yes even the Greatest Generation, in this connected world?  My challenge, my personal challenge, is to help find that place.
I was somewhat heartened by the fact that not only do I know what  a Kinect is, I use it regularly. But I don’t use it the way my Millennial offspring do, most of the time. But there are times when the Kinect, Wii, Facebook, etc. bring three generations together. The same technology that often separates and segregates sometimes forges bridges.

I know, Boomers write blog entries that are way too long. Later

Oh, yes, I still have the felt board - it never runs out of bandwidth.

2 comments:

  1. Pauline, You have put together a nice blog. I especially enjoy your writing style: straight forward, heartfelt, and sincere. I look forward to your updates and getting to know you better in class. Bridge building is always in great need and a great strength when accomplished- whether on felt, chalk, or Kinect.
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very approachable writing style, conversational yet interesting. You also bring up the private vs public idea, one we should come back to when we talk about social networking.

    ReplyDelete